(proposed) Internet Pathfinder honor
- Define the following terms in the context of the Internet: URL, TCP/IP,
HTML, homepage, site, hit (on a page), E-mail, browser, search engine,
directory, bookmark, surfing, animation, GIF, JPEG, background ,Internet
Phones, FTP, HTTP, Newsgroups, gopher?.
- Write a page, without the aid of a HTML editor, using these commands
<IMG SRC="..." >
- What are frames, tables, and lists. Explain the differences between
them. What are META statements used for? There are many text formatting
commands. Describe how to use some of them. (H1-6, B, STRONG, I, EM, P,
- Develop a personal homepage about yourself and your interests containing
a graphic file and a link to another file.
- Participate in making or updating a homepage for your Pathfinder club,
church, or school.
- Do research on the Internet on a topic of interest to you using Search
Engines and links and give a report (oral or written) on what you found.
Or visit 25 Internet sites of which 5 would be church related. Give a report
on the sites telling what you like or don't like about each site. Rate
them on design (organization, use of graphics, overall visual appeal, ease
of use etc. ) and content,
- What are some dangers on the Internet? How can you avoid them? Discuss
some ways that can help protect you from those dangers.
- For at least a month use E-mail to exchange messages with a pathfinder
in another country.
(proposed) Advanced Internet Pathfinder honor
- Write a web site, without the aid of a HTML editor, of at least 3 pages
in HTML using these commands properly <HTML>
<IMG SRC="..." > using GIF and JPEG files
<A HREF...> for internal links, links to other files in your site
and links to files in other sites.
The site should include frames, tables, ordered lists and unordered lists.
Use text formatting commands such as. (H1-6, B, STRONG, I, EM, P, BR, HR)
- Install and setup, for use with an Internet service provider, a browser
and E-mail program on a computer.
- Give a brief history of the Internet.
- Make an animated GIF image and one using a transparent color.
What can be done to make GIF files load from the web faster.
When is it better to use:
a. JPEG image files
b. GIF image files?
- Use FTP and news groups